How to Combat Maskne
As our nation is still facing the coronavirus pandemic, our sensitive-skin friends are suffering a less fatal but seriously frustrating problem under their masks: increased acne. Or what some are calling maskne.
Medical professionals that have been wearing medical masks are familiar with this not-so-new phenomenon. But now, maskne faces the general public and we are here to share some skin-saving tips to combat maskne.
Wash your skin thoroughly with a cleanser. It is important to cleanse the skin from impurities to prevent dirt and oil from being trapped on the skin's surface and in short: creating pimples. Your face should be clean before putting on your face mask. Using a face wipe is generally not enough to cleanse the face efficiently. We recommend a gentle cleanser for more sensitive skin, or a deep pore cleanser for oily skin.
- For normal to sensitive skin types, try the Nash and Jones Milk Cleansing Bar.
- For normal to oily skin types, try the Klei Beauty Coconut Milk + Rice Bran Foaming Face Wash.
Moisturize your skin barrier. Whether you suffer from dry OR oily skin, a good hydrating moisturizer is essential to fight skin irritation. Dry skin can tend to break out due to the irritation skin faces when it is lacking hydration. Oily skin tends to break out due to the overproduction of oil. Dry skin will feel nourished and less of that tight feeling when it has been properly moisturized. And oily skin will produce less oil when it has enough hydration from your moisturizer. Not to mention, a good moisturizer can act as a barrier between your skin and your face mask.
- For normal to dry skin, try the NOTO Deep Serum Oil.
- For normal to oily skin, try the Native Nectar Botanicals Rose Revival Cream.
Go all natural! With most of our face covered anyway, put a pause on foundation and focus your makeup on your eyes. Foundation clogs pores and can ruin your face masks.
- Show off what's not masked and try out a service: eyelash extensions, brow tint, or eyelash tints are available in our salon.
Clean up those hands. And refrain from touching your face. We encounter so many pollutants throughout the day and we don't want to transfer those from our hands to our faces.
- Choose an eco-friendly sustainable sanitizer such as our Forest Roots Sanitizer by Among the Flowers.
Supplement your skincare routine. If you're finding that these skincare basics aren't measuring up to your needs, add some supplemental products or services.